Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Hero Quilts


Hero Quilts is an off-shoot of Quilts Of Valor. It's a group that meets at Jan Sims' in Sisters, Oregon every Thursday. The quilts they make go specifically to Madigan Army Hospital at Fort Lewis in Tacoma, Washington. I had heard mention of them before and attended their group last week. What an inspiration! This is very near & dear to my heart as our son, Patrick, was based at Fort Lewis. Jim was based at McChord AFB which is adjacent to Fort Lewis. Anyways, I walked away from the meeting with a quilt to bind and a bag of fabric. I've been cutting strips all week to make a string quilt!
Here is the first quilt I've helped with. In this group often many hands make a quilt. The blocks were donated by ladies in Prineville, Oregon. Sandy pieced the top together. Tracy did the quilting. And I did the binding and sewed on the label!
One amazing thing I found while doing the binding was that each lady signed her block. One of the blocks was made by my friend and fellow QOVer, Kathy, who also is how I found out about this group. Coincidence? I think not...

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful quilt this is. I love the idea of a quilt worked on and finished by so many quilters and donated to a hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a fabulous idea! The quilt turned out beautifully!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment... I just love heearing from you!

Sewing machine